Wednesday 13 January 2010

Borrowed Bookshelves: 1


On the last day of the year I watched all my books disappear into a shiny bunker at the Big Yellow Self Storage Company (more on these generous supporters of my work in the Arctic in a later post). I thought I'd fill the void left by my own library with an occasional feature on bookshelves encountered during my travels.

Never one for Dewey Decimal order, I'm fascinated by the odd systems of domestic bookshelving, with all their shambles and synchronicities. First off, an uncharacteristically lowbrow corner of the collection belonging to scientists Mark Walton and Carinne Piekema in Oxford.

2 comments:

The Coelacanth said...

ah, I've often thought about this. The beginning of a good series! x

Brett said...

Hooray for The Big Yellow Storage Company! Without a shadow of a doubt, the best storage company in the world, with the most exquisite taste in poets.