Monday 7 September 2015

Ilulissat Kunstmuseum, Greenland

Ilulissat Kunstmuseum

During August I was Writer in Residence at Ilulissat Kunstmuseum on the North-West coast of Greenland. The museum holds a major collection of oil paintings and sketches of the Greenlandic landscape by the Danish artist Emanuel A. Petersen, and this became a focus for my own work. 

I was able to deepen my own experience of these landscapes, which were hidden under winter snow on my previous visit in 2010. I hiked the mountains around Ilulissat, visiting Sermermiut, an ancient settlement dating to 2400BC, and the Ilulissat Kangerlua (or icefjord). 

I gave presentations on my work at the Groenlandica Collection at the National Library of Greenland, which has acquired a copy of How To Say 'I Love You' In Greenlandic, and to the artist group Seqineq in Ilulissat. Watch this space for details of a new publication arising from the residency.

During my travels I met many remarkable people. Special thanks are due to Ole Gamst-Pedersen, Director of Ilulissat Kunstmuseum, and his wife Thrine, who made me very welcome in Ilulissat, and to Charlotte D. Andersen, Director of the Groenlandica Collection at the National Library of Greenland for her help with my research. My deep thanks also go out to all 67 supporters of my Kickstarter campaign, who generously covered the travel costs for this residency.

No comments: